Thursday, October 3, 2013

Toddler Activities - Melted Crayons

My mom did activities like this with us kids when we were little. I thought I'd do it with Kimbri using a bunch of old crayons my mom gave me.  

And hey! It could be a fun activity to do when you want to review colors or shapes with your toddler!

What You'll Need:

- Wax paper
- Crayons
- Iron
- Cheese grater (or some other way to shred the crayons)
- Scissors


What You Do:

- Shred your crayons with a cheese grater. 

This takes some time and isn't super exciting for your toddler, but one way I had K help me out was by helping pick out the colors from the bin that we wanted to use.


- Place the crayon bits in between 2 pieces of wax paper 


- And then simply press the iron onto the wax paper to melt the crayons! 

(It only takes a split second for it to melt so be careful not to hold the iron on for too long)


- Then you can cut the melted-crayon-wax-paper into shapes. 

You can tape a string onto them and hang them from the ceiling or tape them to some paper to create a fun picture, etc...


And just as a side thought... this might be fun to do around Christmas time. You can use Christmas colors and help your toddler make their own Christmas ornament to put on the tree by taping a ribbon or string onto the cut-outs.

No comments:

Post a Comment